The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Spirit Shaping

 



A breezy day. Enough to keep me from my morning paddle, and might even get me to pack up my outdoor space and head inside when I'm done here. Just not as serene somehow when you're cranking down the patio umbrella and slapping down on anything that might blow away.

Ken's Dad used to talk about a three day blow. I've never been a fan. Although it does keep the bugs away if you have any outdoor work to do, and I have in mind a bit of wood pile work for the kids today anyways.

The wind is just part of the cottage experience here. In fact a well-known feature of the pines in Georgian Bay is the windswept shape of the branches. Especially near the top. These tall towering giants have had to yield to the invisible but superior strength of the prevailing winds. Their years of standing on the shores as the wind moves through them is strikingly obvious.

It's fascinating to me that the two main languages used in writing the original manuscripts of our Bible have double-meaning words for Spirit and wind. Ruach in Hebrew. Pneuma in Greek.

I'll save for another time the broader analysis for when these are used to describe gentle subtleties, or when they are used in ways roaring and bold, but both are there.

I think all I'm pondering for this morning is how I may or may not have allowed similar kinds of shaping of my own personhood.
Am I Spirit-swept? Does my soul yield to the prevailing movement of the power of God. Does that show? Is it obvious?

And suddenly the breeze is quieter. A six year old has come to sit quietly beside me until "Gramma finishes typing". On to some breakfast, getting dressed....and maybe that wood pile.

Took my dose 1 of Dukoral this morning.
Can't believe we're only weeks away from our time in Thailand!

Oh what a summer this is!!!!

No comments: