The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Tuesday, July 4, 2023

The Weathered Wood of Spiritual Formatoin



 

First, some odd words from Paul.

Then, a story about painting.

"And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord's glory, are being transformed into His image with ever increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."
2 Corinthians 3:18-19

The photos may be a bit underwhelming but I'm still excited to have finished a little painting project already this summer.

Inspired by my friend Adele Spafford, whose creativity and outcomes on similar makeovers far outshine this humble attempt, I started the reclamation of this weathered double deck chair last summer. By started I mean I got as far as sanding it down a little (with Jayden's help), and then buying the paint.

But then, since I didn't really map out a plan or timeline, all manner of other projects and people took priority. No painting at all took place last season, and the chairs suffered another winter exposed to the elements.

This year it was my goal to have it done before the grandkids arrived and....ta da! A little cleaning off, a touch more sanding, and away I went. Didn't really take that long, and there was great satisfaction in both the broad sloppy coats on the main planks, and the more tedious little spaces between.

Going from weathered-wood gray to Wedgewood blue doesn't bring a startling before-and-after effect visually. But the avoidance of splinters (some in places one does not usually get splinters and may or may not have to ask for assistance from a trusted person in removing) and the overall new fresh look makes me (and my unusual places) very happy.

Next step is to set up the deck space this unit is intended for. It's complicated to explain, but we actually have another deck attached to an unused building on the far side of the property, closer to the new bunkie. If our overall vision for this cottage space is to provide ample room for our entire family, making use of whatever indoor and outdoor spaces we have available, this small project helps toward that.

Personally, I'm hoping the final outcome will be a quiet space to sit and reflect in solitude, or have meaningful conversation with someone else, for anyone who needs it when we're all here, Gramma included of course.

But certainly not only me. It is a double chair after all.

I need to restate the overall vision of this cottage space. It's not just to make room for us physically to all be here at the same time without getting in each other's way too much (although the addition of a bathroom is certainly helpful for that!). It's about the legacy we hope to leave our children and grandchildren spiritually.

For over a 100 years, this small portion of God's good creation has served our family in exactly such a way. To be a haven, not just of retreat, but of growth and formation. The 'ever-increasing' glory Paul is talking about.

[2 Corinthians and particularly the last part of chapter 3 deserve a whole lot more attention than I'm going to give it here. I'll only suggest that the 'unveiled faces' bit is talking at least in part about the fact that we have the potential for very different, very close connection with God, even compared to Moses. If that intrigues you, go look it up in Exodus 34.]

It's my hope, I guess, that time sitting in these newly painted chairs, might work towards the deeper kind of formation that better reflects the likeness of Jesus.

That just like the pictures I didn't take of the process of this small painting project -- the big sloppy coats on the obvious planks, and the tedious little spots with the smaller brush -- little by little, more and more, myself and the members of my family might soak into the dry wood of our souls the glory of God while we are here, and then shine that back out there wherever else we go.

Yes, all that from painting some chairs.

Hopefully, before too long, I can post pictures of the final set up. There's some serious clean up of that deck space to do, and a few niceties to scrounge up. But if it happens this summer, you can bet I'll post a picture, and you can bet I'll have a few words to say about that too.

It's Tuesday my friends.
If you've started your holidays, may this day be sweet and restful or whatever you need it to be.
If you're back to work, be encouraged by the amazing contribution you make there, and by the fact that it's a four day work week!!

No comments: