The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Monday, July 17, 2023

Tomorrow's Blueberries

 

We are thinking about pies.  That’s how good the blueberries are this year.

It seems all the particulars of what blueberries need to be plump and plentiful have come together in just the right ways to make this season a joyful one.  Especially when you have so many eager hunter-gatherers on hand who aren’t “persnippity” about being out in the bush.

Yesterday, it started rather simply.  Timothy and I with a little cup, checking the small, easily accessible bush under the clothesline.  But when that turned out to be so very abundant, we just kept going until first Jayden, and the older ones had to join in.  Because….so…many…blueberries.

What a bonus for us that our property has some very well established patches.  And while we don’t get a good harvest every year, when we do, we hardly have to go out the door.

 

With new blueberry pickers now on the team, a few reminders are important.  Wear bug spray, step carefully, hold your cup upright, and it’s okay to eat a few as you go, but we need enough for the pie.

And another reminder.  Don’t pick tomorrow’s blueberries.

The big, dark ones are what we’re after.  The smaller ones that are still white, of course we leave those to ripen.  But the tricky ones are the ones that are a good size and deep red, and they look like maybe they’re ready…but they’re not. 

Those are tomorrow’s blueberries. 

I receive this reminder myself every year when I’m gathering.  Because, while it’s obvious when picking blueberries, reaching into tomorrow is a subtle temptation for those of us who contend with workaholism and/or an addiction to productivity.  I find myself often pressing into the work in ways that I hope might give me a head start, or a leg up, or even just a sense of satisfaction that I got more done than the day had in mind.

Planning, sure.  Reverse engineering and anticipating outcomes or needs is normally what I bring to the table, and serves well the people and vision we are accomplishing together.  Productivity in itself, is certainly a good thing.

But sometimes impatience with myself or others robs me of the best.  

What if I just waited for tomorrow’s new energies?  

What if what I want to fix ‘right now’ will resolve itself if I just give it time?

What if I just left an idea to ripen a bit before pursuing any further action?

There is a relinquishing of control in waiting for tomorrow’s blueberries.  Something like what I think God wanted His people to learn when He only sent them a day’s worth of manna at a time (Exodus 16).  Who’s really in charge here?  The one who wants to make a pie, or the One who ripens the berries?

Monday it is today.

We had a ripper thunderstorm last night, but I do think we’re good to put in some laundry today.

And of course we’ll be out in the blueberry patch again today…to get those berries we left yesterday!


No comments: