The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Thursday, August 24, 2023

Making Friends, Keeping Friends: An Introvert's Musings on Being Away This Long

 



"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly,
since love covers a multitude of sins."
1 Peter 4:8

Another coolish grey day keeps me indoors to work at our eating table, instead of my 'work station' on the deck. That's okay. The view is still pretty, being right on the water like we are, and there being so many friends to keep me company.

Just one example. There are about a dozen blue jays who have discovered I have peanuts and now want to be friends with me. I don't mind, even if I can't quite trust their relational motivation. Especially since the noisy bunch includes two very young ones. I can tell because they don't even have a crest yet, and their heads are still rather downy.

I was not able to capture a picture of the youngsters. They are far too skittish, and even with me being on the other side of the window, any movement for the camera sends them off.

No matter. When I'm inside it's still fun because all I have to do is line up some peanuts on the deck railing and I get no end of visits.

Pause for a moment to do a introvert's calculation.

Last night I recorded in my journal that this is day 51 here, but that's counting cottage opening and the week we were here in May. By June 18 when we really parked ourselves here, I was already at day 8.

Time in Thailand, including travel was a full 14 days. So, since June 18 I've been away from the city for 55 of 67 days this summer so far.

I'm going somewhere with all of this, at least I hope I am, so bear with me.

That's a fair bit of time to be away from friends.
My family has been here a lot, so we're leaning toward the right balance there.
And there was needful time spent with our Thai family. No worries about that.
But I have to admit, as a I make friends with the blue jays, I can't help but consider the effects of times away on my other relationships.

Good thing for Zoom and Facebook and phone calls, and the interludes when we've been back in Waterloo when there's been time for lunches and porch visits and such. Good thing for August 13 when I was with my peeps at Highview and I got a good fill of hugs.

But still.
Even as an introvert.
It feels like a long time away.

I am coming to believe that much of life is lived in the tension between equal but opposite true things. This is one of them.

Both.

I very truly and even desperately need this time away every year. The odd seasons when this hasn't been possible have proven to me the spiritual necessity of retreat. It feeds me and heals me in ways I can hardly explain. Except if you're an introvert, then you might get it.

And.

I consider myself rich beyond imagination because of the scope and depth and breadth of my relational world. I can't believe I get to love and know, and be loved and known by such a vivid and varied slice of humanity. Every single person in my life is a treasure to my soul, worthy of good and mindful attention and love. In person, even, but in every way possible.

I consider this relational overflow part of the abundant life Jesus promised (John 10:10), and a huge part of what makes this era of my life in particular so robust.

As I write, we're not done here. There are still some parts of the building and property reclamation project that need to be completed before winter sets in.

But more than that. There's still at least seven more times around the island in the kayak to do if I want to surpass my record of 33 and go for 34. There's still a weekend with a granddaughter, and possibly ending the summer here with some friends to try out the new bunkie as a guest house.

And there's blue jays to befriend,.
And still waters to be led to.
And some restoring of soul left to do.

I'm not done.

And yet I can start to feel the pull back into my relational orbits. All the things that are in the works for the fall, and all the spectacular people I get to do them with.

Thank you.

Likely, if you're reading this, especially all the way to the end, you are one of the treasures of my heart, and I am so glad you're in my life. And hopefully I've told you that privately too. I miss you.

So there it is for a slow Thursday morning.
Sending love.

No comments: