The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Sunday, August 27, 2023

Risky Prudence and Prudent Risks


I'm not a forest forager, so we're not in danger here.


Just couldn't help noticing the rather large mushrooms that sprung up overnight right beside our kayak stand off to the side of the deck. The second picture has my sandal in it for size reference.



Oy!

Mushrooms have been in abundance this season, at least around here. And, come to think of it, in our backyard in the city, as I've noticed when we've been there for a bit.

Some folks are mushroom-smart and know which are okay and which are not. Like, very not. There's a whole list on line of poisonous mushrooms in Ontario. There's even one with the name "destroying angel", and just in case anyone was wondering, don't eat that one.

I don't know what this one is. That's why I'm not even going to touch it. And if anyone is tempted to tell me it's okay to eat by looking at this photo, just know that even the poison control center, and other reputable sources refuse to identify mushrooms based on a picture.

So, I stay away.

I am by nature more on the cautious side anyways. I say that, then realize that my life's story actually includes a lot of times when I said a risky "Yes." And it makes me realize that there has to be a both/and tension here, like living abundantly requires.

So no mushrooms thank you very much.
But I will step out in faith when it's called for.
I will walk a tightrope when it's the only way forward.
I will take a chance and pass the baton,
or make an investment,
or let trust bridge a gap when I can't see the whole way ahead.

And to be honest, I think there's a fair bit of that ahead for the fall. It's time to put some planning into action, to take some bold steps, and see where God is leading.

To the best of my ability to understand these things, all of it has been at His behest in the first place. We might say it's some specifics and timing being laid on the obvious call to shelter the poor and feed the hungry that has been right there in Isaiah 58 and Matthew 25 for centuries.

So, no to the mushrooms, yes to the adventure.
And may God grant us the wisdom to know the difference.

No comments: