The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Monday, January 8, 2024

Brighter Corners

 



The light shines in the darkness,
and the darkness cannot overcome it.
John 1:5

Saturday was 'take down Christmas' day at our house. It was a very good day, as far as getting things done. Ken and I worked well as a team for the 'big job,' got it all done and put away, and even snuck in a few other errands. By the end of it, I was very satisfied with what got checked off the list.

But when we sat down to enjoy a movie in the evening, I suddenly realized I was feeling a bit sad.

The corner where the Christmas tree had been/always goes, was particularly dark and cheerless.

This happens every year, of course. That post-Christmas 'empty and boring' look that unfortunately coincides with 'we still need some winter joy'. But this particular season, with how prolonged the lack of sunshine has been, as in days and day in a row, I think I'm feeling it more. Trying not to gripe about it, but....I sure am leaning towards the dreary right now.

So I decided on Sunday that I would try something I've never done before, at least in the family room; leave that corner lighted.

The built in bookshelves needed some attention now that the tree was gone. So I took everything off, dusted and cleaned, did a touch up with just a little bit of paint, and rearranged a few things. Then I wrapped a string of lights around the outside. The little shelf beside was cleared off for some votives.

Yes! So much warmer, brighter, cheerier. There's not enough light for reading, but an extra lamp is there if needed. For most of the time, however, this will do quite nicely. Not sure if it fits with any trendy decor whatsoever, but I don't actually care. It's helping chase away some of this January blah for me.

Because really, far beyond decorating or environ-mental health ideas, this and any other dark corner redeemed by the light reminds me of deeper truths. Repeatedly in Scripture I am reminded how light overcomes darkness. That there is a bright Son of righteousness, fulfilling His plans and purposes, even when maybe all I see are the clouds.

Okay. Good thoughts to move me into Monday and what's looking like a very full week ahead. Holidays are really over now. Time to go be shiny.

Have a bright week, friends.

No comments: