The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Winter Wonders for the Last Day of January - Pictorial Edition


I'm pretty sure the not-so-secret secret to living through a Canadian winter is the ability to embrace it.




In fact, it could be said that to the degree we find or make our own kind of winter joy, we will get through the long winter months in a correlatively better state of mind.



Getting outside is a big part of this.  I say this realizing that I am first and foremost a summer girl, and it's not natural for me to get myself out there when it's cold.


Even more so if the sun isn't shining.  


But I do it.  And I found a trick.  Regardless of the weather, it's amazing what I can see if I choose to focus my attention on the beautiful things.


The stunning.  The surprising.  The patterns and contrasts and random art of things.


The way the cold transforms landscapes.  How snow can paint a completely new pictures with hardly any colour at all.


Still.  All that is outside.


Making it cozy indoors is part of the trick to embracing winter too.



Candles and putting on a fire.  That will do it for me.  And reading.


That's right up there in winter activities for me.  Although admittedly not just for winter. [Heard a new phrase the other day.  Sorry I can't remember where.  But instead of book worm (which sounds a bit icky if you think about it) what about a book dragon?  Makes me feel warmer just saying it.]

Of course, I think the most important element of making it through the winter is each other.

And here I absolutely cannot post enough pictures to represent the beautiful souls God has brought into my life.  How amazing that in the long cold months of winter our hearts can keep each other warm.  I so need you.  Just sayin.'


Happy last day of January to you.
I know it's been hard without the sunshine.
Hang in.
Find your own kind of winter joy.
Embrace it, lean into it.
And let's huddle around each other, 
literally or figuratively, 
and see this winter through.





 

No comments: