The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Friday, January 26, 2024

Remembering Gary Nelson




 Your statutes are my heritage forever;
they are the joy of my heart.
My heart is set on keeping your decrees
to the very end.
Psalm 119:111-112

With a very keen sense of loss, I learned just yesterday of the passing of former President of Tyndale University and Seminary, Gary Nelson on Monday, January 22, 2024.

Like many of his students I imagine, this feels personal.  Despite the formal title of The Reverend Doctor Gary V. Nelson, a status his life achievements well deserved, most of us were invited to simply call him Gary, welcomed into the hospitality of his warmth, and wit, and genuine interest in others.

He was often seen just strolling through the hallways, always fully present with whomever stopped him to chat, myself included.  He seemed to know everyone's name.

The one credit I had with him called Gospel, Church and Culture, remains key in how I approach the relevant integration of my faith into the Canadian landscape.  

Any other time I had the privilege of hearing him speak or preach, he never failed to bring an honesty and realism to what it means to be a follower of Jesus in the ordinary, daily context of life.  

Although he had many heavy responsibilities, and was well sought after across the country, he graciously accepted offers to come speak to lesser known groups of Christian leaders and congregations, having a special affinity for the smaller church.  Highview benefitted from his teaching and presence when he came as a guest speaker a few years back.  Our people still quote him from time to time.

So this morning I am in that space of sadness and gratitude.  
It is an honour to have been influenced by the humility and grace of this intelligent teacher and leader.  
I will remember our conversations fondly.

Prayers for his wife, family and the Tyndale community, and all who will feel this loss.

No comments: