The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

The Delicate Things



Today I am I wondering why I put so much stock into strengthening and emboldening and fortifying everything -- especially maybe the image I want to project about all of that -- when God seems fascinated with the delicate things.

Snowflakes for one.  Just look at them.  Every single one the most fragile of crystals, each one unique, but all arranged in an orderly hexagonal ring.  Who knew math could be so pretty?   

I won't risk copyright infringements by posting real pictures, but if you've got a few minutes and you need your mind blown, just type in 'pictures of snowflakes' and sit and marvel for a while.  Over and over again.  Every snowflake different.  Every pattern a masterpiece.

And so very fragile.

Perhaps I'm feeling fragile right now.  A little.  Nothing to worry anyone about.  Just some things, big and small, are bugging me more than they usually do.   Feeling the frustrations more sharply.  Getting my feelings hurt more easily.  Reacting in the moment rather than offering a more careful response.  There's a lot of factors in play, and yes, I do believe the winter's lack of sunshine is one of them.  But it's more than that, and I'm dealing with those things, all of them, bit by bit.

But in the meantime I'm feeling delicate.  

And held.  

And that's why, this morning, I'm grateful for God's attention to detail.  For His love of the small things.  For His infinite patience with me.  For how gently He holds me while I calm down from all my flailing.

One of my favourites:

Zephaniah 3:17
The LORD your God is with you.
He will take great delight in you.
He will rejoice over you with singing.
He will quiet you with His love.

Feeling strong or delicate or both, 
whatever you're facing today, 
I hope you feel held.

No comments: