The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Right-Sizing


Ken and I took in the Boat Show in Toronto on Monday afternoon.

We were there primarily to purchase a promised Christmas gift; a large and sturdy inflatable to drag behind the boat and fling screaming grandchildren around on the water for an afternoon.

We were able to find one at a reasonably discounted price. So after that we mostly just walked around and looked at boats of all sizes, and everything else that goes with boating.

Apparently fudge goes with boating. A LOT of fudge. But never mind.

Stationed around the very, very large halls of the Enercare Centre at Exhibition Place, were these oversized Muskoka chairs in various colours. For fun, I had Ken take my picture.

We would have tried to get a shot of both of us, but there weren't that many folks around at the time we were there. And also we were failing miserably at getting selfies with the two of us. I'm not posting any of those shots. You're welcome.

But, hey, this one's not too bad. And then, with the size all out of proportion and it looking all silly like it does, I realize that's how I'm tempted to feel about a whole lot of things in life.

Things get out of proportion.

Perhaps a pathway to better mental health and spiritual wellness could be framed as a practice of right-sizing.

Right-sizing my problems with the faithfulness of the Father
Right-sizing my ego with the humility of Christ.
Right-sizing my responsibilities with the leading of the Spirit.

It's Wednesday. For me that typically means a string of meetings that will take me out of the house. It's a good rhythm for the week, actually. I LOVE working from home, and especially so in the winter. And enough meetings happen either here or over Zoom, to be sure. But it's also good to be up and out seeing folks face to face, nicely spaced in the middle of the week. It's a good fit.

Hope your day fits you well.
I will say, it's apparently a bit foggy and slippery out there, so if you do have to go anywhere, take care.

By the way. I did NOT buy any fudge, which, if you know me, is quite an accomplishment.

No comments: