The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Monday, September 11, 2023

Harvest Here We Come

 


Now that I'm out for my walks again, I couldn't help but notice the corn.
Two things about this. One is, as I've said often enough before, I love living in a part of Waterloo where I can literally walk past a corn field every morning! This Scarborough girl will likely never stop loving this.
The second thing is how tall the corn is!
Last spring I deliberately took a picture of the cornfield from a certain vantage point with every intention of taking comparison shots throughout the season. These three pictures are the result.


Picture three was taken yesterday. The stalks are so high! Maybe seven feet! And what you can't see (because I'd have to stomp through some mighty weeds to get close enough for the shot) is how ripe the husks are getting.



Reflecting back over the course of this summer, when I wasn't walking but kayaking instead, I am deeply grateful for the time and space not just to rest and spend time with family, but to receive regularly and beautifully from God's Spirit in a way that I would describe as Him 'growing' me.
Spiritual formation is defined by M. Robert Muholland Jr. as "the process of being formed in the image of Christ for the sake of others."
And while I firmly believe in my responsibility to engage intentional practices to help make that happen, it's an imperative humility to understand that this is the work of the God in my life, not the results of my own efforts.
I think that's what I felt happening over this past season. Just like the corn, receiving the sky's sun and the earth's nourishment, and all the goodness God could pour out, and letting that grow me in quiet and hilarious ways.
And now? Coming back to this (for me) first in-the-city-at-my-desk work week? Well, I'm hoping to share that bounty and bring it to the table, so to speak.
There's a LOT going on this fall about which I'm early anticipating, but also realizing the demandingness of it all. I believe the Lord has brought to mind Luke 12:48. "To whom much has been given, much will be required" and is preparing me, encouraging me, bolstering me, exiting me for the months ahead.
And I love this about Him. I've seen this happen over and over again throughout my life. In seasons of exhaustion, He's there reminding me to rest and be restored by still waters. In seasons where much is required, He's right there providing me with everything I need for life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3).
It's the first full week of a new season, folks.
Hope it's starting all fresh and full and strong for you.
And if not, I hope you feel the Presence of grace and comfort, or whatever it is you need in this season of your life.

No comments: