The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

September's Subtle Switch

 


I was surprised to learn that for some students, today is not the first day of school this year.
It's not that I'm sending kids off to school myself, so it doesn't really affect my own life all that much. Except I am quite involved in the lives of my grandchildren, plus I've chatted with other parents, plus I know a few teachers.
Most of us are expressing a slight sense of disorientation.
For so long, at least in this neck of the woods, the day after Labour Day has been the first day of school. Wednesday seems somewhat anticlimactic now.
Who knows who makes these decisions and what the very good reasons might be? And honestly, I guess it's not that big of a deal. One extra day of not packing lunches isn't all bad. Hope your childcare arrangements haven't been too messed up.
In any case, it kind of goes with the theme of my own September scheduling this year. Because I'm not exactly hurrying back to fall routines myself quite yet. And that feels weird too.
When I have ever started the day after Labour Day in the midst of a breath-snatching sunrise on glass-flat water? Still here at the cottage. And the weather isn't (is) helping.
I can't quite tell what day it is either.



I'm getting more and more okay with all of this. Even being someone who likes routine, and plans, and things to happen in good order. It's looking, actually, as if this won't be more the norm over this next coming season anyways. A lot of changes are in the works. Likely there will be more not-the-same scenarios to disturb me enough to keep me alert and alive and thinking things through from different, fresh angles.
And it's truly okay. Because, in the midst of any change, especially one that includes something as basic as where you lay your head at night, and the place you call home (and some actual construction), Paul's words to the Ephesians reminds me of the broader stability of my life.
"Consequently (because of what Christ has done for us), you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God's people and also members of His household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus Himself as the chief cornerstone. In Him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. And in Him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by His Spirit."
Ephesians 2:19-22
Love this. Lots more could be teased out of this, but it's taking me in too many directions for one simple Facebook post.
Besides, the day is stunning. I'm done at the computer for now 🙂.
Happy first/not-first day of school to all who are starting new adventures....sometime this week!!!

Like
Comment
Share

No comments: