The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Sunday, March 31, 2024

Encountering Possibility



Mary's Garden encounter with the Risen Jesus goes like this:

He asked her,
"Woman, why are you crying?
Who is it that you are looking for?"

Thinking he was the gardener, she said,
"Sir, if you have carried him away,
tell me where you have put him,
and I will get him."

Jesus said to her, "Mary."

John 20:15-16


John's Revelation encounter of the Risen Jesus goes like this:

And among the lampstands was someone like a son of man,
dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet,
and with a golden sash around his chest.
The hair on his head was white like wool,
as white as snow,
and his eyes were like blazing fire.

His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace,
and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters.
In his right hand he held seven stars,
and coming out of his mouth was a sharp, double edged sword.
His face was like the sun, shining in all its brilliance.

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead.
Then he placed his right hand on me and said,

"Do not be afraid.
For I am the First and the Last,
I am the Living One.
I was dead, and now look,
I am alive forever and ever!"

Revelation 1:13-18

And while there are many other eye witness accounts (see Paul's list in 1 Corinthians 15:1-8) I choose these two this morning because they are so astonishingly beautiful and tender and intimate.

All Mary needs, in her confusion and grief, is to hear Him speak her name.
All John needs, in his terror and - dare I say it - disbelief, is to feel His hand on his shoulder, and hear Him telling him there's nothing to be afraid of.  

And I'm glad for all those who write good academic papers to help bring some reason to this wild thing called the Resurrection.  
But I doubt Mary needed any more evidence.  
I doubt John needed any convincing.

Neither do I.
Once you've heard Him speak your name...
Once you've felt His hand on your back...

Astonishing
beautiful
tender
intimate.

And now....
Everything is possible!








No comments: