The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Springpossible: Lingering in Lent

 



"Nothing ever seems impossible in spring, you know."
L.M. Montgomery

"Then Joseph of Arimathea took down the body of Jesus, wrapped it in linen cloth and placed it in a tomb cut in the rock, one in which no one had yet been laid. It was Preparation Day (Friday), and the Sabbath was about to begin...."
Luke 23:53-54

Oh the irony!

Happy first day of Spring, following the warmest winter in Ontario on record...since 1948, they're saying on the radio this morning.

I can't quite tell. Is this last blast of winter harder or easier because we've had such a mild winter? The timing is 'off' for sure, but this morning I'm finding it more amusing than anything else. I don't seem to have that desperation I often feel when winter hangs on too long.

Mind you, ask me again at the end of the week when this 'little bit of snow' has lingered and there's been a bit of bluster to contend with as well. I certainly was enjoying the opportunity to be out in the yard last week, helping to tidy up in the gardens before we list the house. Glad now for what I got done.

And I'm quite impressed with the green things that thought it was safe to come out.

But there they are this morning,
being possible.

My spirit is feeling the pull now toward Resurrection morning.
I think Lent is supposed to do that.
I think winters that show up late and
ironically spill into spring do that.
Remind us of what's possible,
what's waiting,
even as we linger in the snow.

So don't take off the snow tires just yet.
Haul out those winter boots again for just a little longer.
Wait for it.
It won't be long now.

No comments: