The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Monday, March 18, 2024

"Real" Work




The happy disruptions of family during last week's March Break has reminded me again that I often settle for a rather narrow definition of what I consider my 'real' work.  

I said it to Ken last night as we were going over the plans for the week ahead.  I said that, for this coming week, I want to get down to doing some 'real' work.  What I was referring to was things I mostly do at my desk, with my computer, and/or at meetings with groups or individuals.  All the things I report on, keep track of, file, preach, teach, plan and otherwise am responsible for in that space that encompasses my job description as Highview's Missionary in Residence.  

I was contrasting that, of course, to the time spent engaging with (which, let's be honest, mostly means feeding) our grandchildren over several days for the (booming sound effects here please) DOUBLE SLEEPOVER that has become something of a tradition over both the Christmas and March Break weeks.  Actually, it's more than feeding them.  It's all the things that happen when children are in the house, all the good, the bad and the messy of it.  And it's all sensational and happy and exhausting and  hilarious, and requires from me very different kinds of energy than does my 'real' work.

In our chat last night, I also found myself contrasting the work we still need to do on the house to get ready to sell, with the 'real' work of my life, suggesting this week would be made up of mornings focusing on the latter and afternoons on the former.  As if, even with the clear understanding that our move is very much in line with how we believe God is leading us, there was a distinction.

Except, something makes me want to stop and think this through again.

What is 'work' anyways?
Especially for those who consider themselves followers of Jesus.
What is the 'real work' of our lives?

What an interesting research paper this could be!
But not for this morning.
This morning I'm just remembering again just two of oh so many references to work and work ethic in the Bible.   I'm thinking this just might help me through the 'work week' in a more wholistic frame of mind.


1 Corinthians 15:58
Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm.
Let nothing move you.
Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord,
for you know that your labour in the Lord is not in vain.

I'm preparing a sermon using this text (for April 7 at Highview), and exploring what Paul is referring to when he uses the phrase 'work of the Lord.'  Basically, it's anything that is about forgiveness, justice, reconciliation, unleashing potential, protecting the vulnerable, healing, safety, and love.  In other words, anything to do with making things 'on earth as they are in heaven.'  It's a pretty broad job description.

Hebrews 6:10
God is not unjust;
He will not forget your work 
and the love you have shown Him
as you have helped His people
and continue to help them.

Oh I so want to explore this further.  But for now, I'm noticing the clear connection between 'your work' and 'the love you have shown.'  And then the next level of clear connection between loving God and helping people.

Okay, so now it's time to get at it.
Monday morning and all that.
And I do love the time I can spend at my desk, and will relish it with gratitude.

But I am also so very grateful for the other 'work' and 'real' work of my life.

For all those heading into Monday who may or may not have a definitive job description at this point in your life, for whatever reason...

May you find satisfaction in pressing into the 'work' God has laid before you....whatever that looks like!!




No comments: