The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Moving Right Along




I'm still into the signs this morning, so go with me on this.

Paul's famous "cognitive behaviour therapy" piece in Philippians 4:6-8 swings into my brain as I keep pace on my morning walk past this "No Parking" reminder.

"Do not be anxious about anything,
but in every situation,
by prayer and petition,
with thanksgiving,
present your requests to God.

"And the peace of God,
which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

"Finally, brothers and sisters,
whatever is true,
whatever is noble,
whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely,
whatever is admirable --
if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --
think about such things."

It doesn't take much to be able to make a negative-contrast list here, of all the things we're NOT supposed to think about. And it's obvious why.

All those untrue, ignoble, impure, unlovely, deplorable, inferior and disgraceful thoughts, memories, and imaginations are like cars parked in places that disrupt the flow of traffic.

How can we get to the peace with all that in the way? How can our minds and hearts move forward to a God-breathed future, if we get stuck behind the barrier of a thought parked where it shouldn't be?

It's not like we're not supposed to think about our problems, or work through damaging events from the past. But, like the Christian cognitive behaviour therapist that walked me through a dark time in my life observed, "it seems the Bible instructs us not to think about our problems without attaching a promise."

And if the "parked car" in the way is a bold faced lie?
Like, "You're a failure." "You're not enough." "You're forgotten."
Well then.
Let's call the tow truck and get that hunk of junk out of there!

Lots of changes ahead for me, and while I embrace them, and participate freely in them, change can still be stressful. And that same therapist also reminded me that when we are under stress we tend to revert back to old, unhealthy patterns of thinking.

So I'm glad for the fresh open sky and a barrier free way before me to begin this day. I'm glad for Paul's tried and true list to keep me moving towards God's peace.

Wishing you a worry-free Wednesday, friends.

No comments: