The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Wednesday, May 29, 2024

When You're Having a Bad Hair Day But You Really Don't Care Because You've Only Just Turned One


I highly doubt my Dad would ever have signed up for Facebook, had it been a thing back then. But he sure did take a lot of pictures of his kids. I was the first, so, you know how that goes. Sorry all you second, third and other later born folks with scarcer photographic histories of your childhood.

This is circa July 1958, taken at Fair Havens Campground near Beaverton, Ontario.

Bath time. The cooking pot off to the side was used to pour the water over my head causing the bad-faux-mohawk look. And while part of me hopes my Mom was there saying, "Oh Art, let me fix her hair a little before you take the picture," there's something to be said about being young enough not to care.

Which brings me back to Facebook.

Perhaps it's ironic that I'm the one now posting this less-than-cute picture of myself as a baby. Or maybe a little on purpose. Because truth is we all sort of try to 'fix our hair a little' when presenting ourselves to the world. We can't seem to help it.

To help prove my point: What's the first thing you do when the camera comes on for a Zoom meeting?

Of course there's something to be said for proper grooming, and appropriate clothing, and even knowing the 'TMI' quotient for any particular audience. There's wisdom in knowing how much of ourselves we show to the various levels of relational intimacy circles every one of us has in our lives.

Yes.

And.

Truth is we all have bad hair days.

I'm not advocating for open disclosure of personal matters on social media. In fact, I think there are dangers and indiscretions in doing so. But I do hope two things.

One is that we can continue to grow towards finding it less and less necessary to manage our image as we find more and more identity in being cherished treasures of God.

The second is that we all do have those people in our lives with whom we can be truly ourselves, no secrets, no judgements. The people with whom we can be having a "bad hair day" and we honestly don't care, because we know we are loved unconditionally. And I guess the part B to this second one is that maybe we can be that for someone else.

I hope so.

Okay, but, in this picture, I'm a little bit cute, right?

Stay real friends.
Happy Wednesday.

No comments: