The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Monday, July 29, 2024

Long Weekend, Thai Style


Well our long weekend (thanks to the King’s birthday) is over, and it’s back to more regular routines (if there really is such a thing) on Tuesday and for the next few days.

Feels like there’s a fair bit to catch up on here, but hopefully the pictures will help tell the stories of Sunday’s worship time and Monday’s little outing. And as I go fetch them, I realize I haven't downloaded or organized the best one, so here's a start.
A few thoughts, though, to add.
Sunday
Prelude. Abby helps in the kitchen to get the congregational lunch ready. That's one big wok!




It does not matter where on the planet I am, Sunday morning is a gift. To gather with beloveds and be united in our desire to give God our praise and thanks, to orient ourselves to His being oh so much bigger than we are, than our struggles are, there’s nothing like it. Doesn’t matter the language.

Abby says Hello to Hot Springs Church


Of course, if there are enthusiastic little ones who want to express that through dance, all the better (see separate posting for video). And Ahjahn Suradet’s sermon on 1 Corinthians 4:10-23. About building our lives wisely, on what matters, was uplifting and inspiring. Next week I will teach, but it was wonderful this week to be taught by this godly man I respect so much.
Always a joy...when children who have moved out of our care come back for church. Today it was Praweet! He's as tall as me!!!!
Also, to reconnect with former staff Foon, and his family. Lovely.



Still needing an afternoon nap, although Sundays are famous for that anyways. Then we headed out to eat a meal at a uniquely organic restaurant where they literally grow all their own vegetables and mushrooms on the premises. Patrons are invited to go for a stroll in their photo-worthy gardens.



Ultimately we were headed to the Walking Street Market along the old city walls of Chiang Mai.




Abby proved to be a natural market shopper, and I even engaged in a little bartering myself. Yupa is the pro, though. You can save quite a bit just by having her around. Stamina being what it is still at this point, I found a place to sit down for an hour while the others carried on past all the booths. Lovely chair. It even leaned back. And happily someone was there to provide a relaxing foot massage for about $6 CDN.
Everyone returned satisfied and laden down with market finds, gifts for friends and supports and such. I had two girls asleep, one on each shoulder, on the way home. And I myself had the best night’s sleep since getting here.

Monday
No school! I feel I sometimes get too excited about this in front of the children. We really do want to foster a positive attitude towards the education their being here provides them, and lovingly encourage them to fully engage in their studies to the best of their abilities. But…when there’s a holiday, we can spend more time together, and that’s what we did today!


With no pre-trip planning in particular to help gather extra funds, and with there being now 25 plus three staff children here, we had to choose something simple and within the budget. So, to Hot Springs Park it was, for a swim and some ice cream.



Friends, the entire trip is worth it just for this. For children who have come from nothing, to be this excited and having this much fun…the sheer joy on their faces and in their voices means everything.



Most of them ‘dressed up’ for this. Even the older girls. It’s refreshing to be away from any sense of entitlement at all, and humbling to realize again how much of that, despite my intentional soul-work, lurks in me.



Oh a nap again in the afternoon is needed. And the children are given popcorn and a movie, another big treat when there is no regular screen time around here.
Did some reading with them again just before supper.

And then our evening lesson where we scrambled up our Bible verse.

Ephesians 5:1-2
Follow God's example
as dearly loved children
and walk in the way of love.

And on Speaking Life, and the importance of our words to build a strong family.



Added a tag to our lanyards (thanks again Sharon Ogilvie).
And put in another installment of Ahjahn Ruth and the Bear. Side note: It’s been a fun and recent discovery that they truly do love cliffhangers. So, I’m telling stories in chapters now. Only drawback is that when Yupa asked, at the end of the lesson, what our Bible learning was about, some of them answered, “Bears.” Oops.
I will let Abby give her own reports in her own ways. But she has been fully engaged, even with jet lag (lesser for her now than for me), reading with the kids, holding hands with the little girls as we walked around Hot Springs Park, and doing her best to make friends with the dogs here (another story).
Since some have been asking in other messaging, I’ll give a quick personal report here. Today I am officially into week five of a four to six week recovery period. Probably fair to say that jet lag tends to make recovery from surgery a tad more challenging, and recovering from surgery makes jet lag more difficult. While I am pleased to be able to fulfill my basic ministry responsibilities while here, having NFF Management Committee Meetings, a meeting with the November Team, preparing Bible lessons, reading program, and next week preaching, I am definitely on modified duties and an adapted kind of schedule. Any thoughts of doing that complete inventory of all our ESL, Bible Lesson, and arts and crafts supplies, even with Abby’s help, I’ve put aside. And while I usually love to set up a desk to work on the porch outside, I’m more inclined to make myself comfy with the pillows and work and write from bed. Air conditioning helps, and I’m grateful. And no worries on the lifting anything bit, even though I’m technically past that restriction. I’m not even being allowed to carry my own purse!
Sponsors, I promise to make sending you a report and some pictures about your individual child a priority this coming week!!!
So…that wraps up week one (Wednesday to Tuesday).
One more to go with lots still to experience.
Thank you so much for everyone who is praying!!!

No comments: