The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Friday, August 16, 2024

Wan-la Nit, Wan-la Noi

 


Another quiet morning.

Things will be more exciting this weekend. Some family arrives later today. And also, right now, it looks like another stormy Saturday-Sunday combo, unfortunately.

And I hear in my head Timothy's sing-song, "Rain, rain go away, come again another day, everybody wants to play, rain, rain go away." And I'm tempted to try it to see if it works.

Also today begins a little fun (at least I hope it will be) experiment to see if Ken and I can manage actually living (not just sleeping) in the bunkie. A rental agreement made months ago for our actual cottage, yes, with the anticipation that we may not have a place to retreat to in KW at this point, begins on Sunday afternoon. Just for the week.

The bunkie is not equipped with a kitchen per se. But we have enough gizmos and gadgets, including a microwave and hotel-sized refrigerator, to match our ingenuity. So we'll see how it goes.

I'm most interested to see where I can set up my outside space to work and be, given the deck over there is more of a small porch. But outside the back there's a flat-ish space of rock, sheltered from the wind, and that might do just nicely.

I did get out in the kayak this morning, but not all the way around the island, if anyone is keeping track. It was just late enough to bring on some more robust waves out in the open, and I didn't want to push it.

It's interesting to be in the space of caution still. Normally pushing myself to the next thing is a given. That's how you grow. That's how anything of significance happens -- intentionally incremental.

In Thai there's a phrase that intertwines the word for day "wan", with the words for little bit, "nit-noi." And it comes out, "wan-la nit, wan-la noi" and means exactly that. A little bit each day.

And it occurred to me yesterday that this summer is doing exactly that. Big things, but bit by bit all the planning Ken and I mapped out at the beginning of June are coming to pass. Not always exactly as we thought they might for sure, but here we are and it August 16, and it a quiet morning before a fuller kind of weekend.

And I suppose, wan-la nit, wan-la noi can apply to how I'll get myself back around the island eventually.

Lots to do today. But I relish the sun on the back of my neck, the flat water out in front of me, and the simple joy bright red trumpets can bring. Especially if that includes a visit from the humming bird.

Happy Friday, everyone.
Hope your weekend brings you exactly what you need it to.

No comments: