The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Thursday, April 11, 2024

Smiling Outside

 

Yesterday being Wednesday I was gone from the house most of the day. But I did manage to sneak in some time out in the back yard just before, and then just after supper.
Everything right now is about tidying up and preparing to show the property. With a listing day in sight (April 18) the push is on. And I'll admit I'm feeling it.
It's an odd kind of stress, the sporadic chirps of the tyrannically urgent, mixed with the dull but draining background noise of big-change-coming. I feel it weighing on me, collecting mostly at the back of my neck and shoulders.
But when I'm outside in the sunshine I don't feel the angst of it quite so much. All the newly growing things cheer me. Except the blackberry bushes. Those long gnarly prickly vines are nasty! Still, there's satisfaction in getting them snipped back before they get out of control. And then I just stand over the bag and snip the longer whips into lengths that shake down better. More in each bag that way.
I need this. The warm sunshine. The tug of the rake on the grass. The snip of the shears. The filling up of large paper bags. A fleeting visit from one of the northern flickers that have joined our backyard community of late. Taking deep breaths once in a while. And, oh yeah, smiling.
And I find that with the odd kind of stress there is also an odd kind of rest. A place I find when I remember why we're doing this move, Who's in charge of everything, and how incredibly inundated I am with all the things that make life real and big and wondrous.
"Truly my soul finds rest in God;
my salvation comes from him.
Truly is is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress,
I will never be shaken."
Psalm 62:1-2
So happy smiling Thursday, friends.
Yes, even in all the rain.
Today I'm indoors anyways.
So many lovely things to do and be.

Like
Comment
Share

No comments: