The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Monday, April 8, 2024

Wild Wonders in the Sky


With all the interest and excitement about all that's going in the skies today, I can't help but be reminded of so many places in the Bible where it talks about the sun and the moon and weird and wonderful things that happen in the heavens.


I am not inclined towards what a professor friend of mine calls 'tabloid prophecy' in any of this, though. And I'm glad I haven't heard too much of this sort of disjointed thinking in the weeks leading up to today's eclipse. Because, with great compassion, I think it just plays with people's emotions, and that makes me angry-sad.

Instead, I connect with texts where the worship just sort of bursts out in grand poetry, where all the wild things that can happen in the sky give evidence of how wild and creative a exciting God is.

It will be exciting today. Except of course right now it's kind of cloudy, so it's hard to say how much of it we'll experience.

Naturally, if you are going to try to go out and look at it, be very careful. I'm personally opting out of the 'special glasses' thing, and am more curious about what it will all feel like if I sit out on my covered porch and see how dark it actually gets.

"I will sing of the LORD's great love forever;
with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known
through all the generations....
The heavens praise your wonders LORD,
your faithfulness too, in the assembly of the holy ones.
For who in the skies above can compare with the LORD?
Who is like the LORD among heavenly beings?"
Psalm 89:1,5-6

Stay safe today.
Be in awe today.

No comments: