The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Friday, April 5, 2024

Why Work Works

Last Spring - Zachary getting ready to work.

Yay for Friday and the last day of my 'no meeting week.'


It's not been quite as productive as I would have liked. Probably because I tend to overload my list with optimistic confidence any time I think I have a decent space of time open before me.

Even so, a satisfying-enough amount of meaningful work got checked off, and I've got a good vibe going on this morning.
(This, in spite of a dusting of snow last night. - Spring, come on! You had one job!)

For the weekend ahead, there's the final push in prepping the house. Almost ready to list. Oh, I am so ready for this next stage!

And also, I get to preach a three week series at Highview Community Church staring Sunday. Calling it "Dandelion Faith" comparing our spiritual formation to that brilliant beauty that should be showing up on our lawns very soon.

1 Corinthians 15:58
Therefore my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm.
Let nothing move you.
Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord,
because you know your labour in the Lord is not in vain.

And not to give anything away, but just a word about work, and giving ourselves fully to it.

It's kind of a big deal in the Bible, although 'work' might not defined exactly as perhaps we might think.

Came across this study www.theologyofwork.org which I think has some important ideas. And I won't flesh that out too much on Sunday and won't even get into all of that right here. I'll let you check it out for yourself if you like.

But for this morning.
This frosty Friday morning,
when we usually think of it being the 'end of the work week'
I just want to say that in it's own way
it's all work if it's what God's put before you.

I don't mean to say we work all the time.
That's what Sabbath's for.
But paid or not,
seen or invisible,
glamorous or mundane,
whatever...

When it reflects God's agenda of peace and justice and restoration and relational wholeness,
and it provides for the needs of the vulnerable,
and it contributes to anyone's joy and well-being,
or strengthens their faith and their hope....
that matters.

Results of Zachary's labour.
Don't forget that, especially if lately you've been wondering if what you do counts. It does.


So, yes. Happy Friday!
And may whatever God has put before you to do,
bring you satisfaction and joy.



No comments: